API 5B SIXTEENTH EDITION DEC. 2017 PUBLISHED!
The new American Petroleum Institute’s (API) 5B Specification for Threading, Gauging, and Inspection of Casing, Tubing, and Line Pipe threads has been published.
API (American Petroleum Institute) maintains 685 standards and recommended practices. Many have been incorporated into state and federal regulations; as well as adopted by the International Organization for Standardization. To manufacture API tubular goods under their license and use their monogram, you must follow their provided specifications.
Some new required element inspections:
- Buttress Tooth Thickness/Groove Width
- Crest Diameter & Ovality with New Setting Standards Requirements
- Form & Angle
Some of the new tolerances:
- Thread height
- Addendum (pitch cone-to-crest)
- Maximum Ovality for pins
- Average Crest Diameter
- Stand-off allowance for pins
- Toleranced overlays for optical comparators
- Tubing & Casing thread dimension tables updated
- TDWIN Taper update
- MIC TRAC™ 3000 Gage Setting System now approved
Don’t miss our free MRP Spec 5B Ovality and Standoff Calculator App! Get it in your app store now!